Greetings from gorgeous Lake Powell area. As the weather starts to cool off ~ here are some ideas of great things to do in the Page Lake Powell area for free, or under 10 bucks. A week long National Park Entrance pass is $15.00 but gets you in to all of the marinas for dining, swimming, fishing, etc…
- Hike (Walk) to Horseshoe Bend. It is amazing and it is free. Just south of mile marker 545 South of Page turn in black top drive way. Park and enjoy the 3/4 mile hike/walk on the trail to one of mother natures beautiful pieces of work. The horseshoe shaped cut of the Colorado River.
- Walk to The Whitehouse – the Scenic overlook by Denny’s on Highway 89 in Page – awesome view of Glen Canyon Dam and the Glen Canyon Bridge 700 feet about the Colorado River.
- Carl Hayden Visitor Center at Glen Canyon Dam – Movies (3) and free tours of Glen Canyon Dam.Tours of the dam are 45 minutes and go to the Colorado River level and into the power plant where there are 8 large generators. Tours are provided by the Glen Canyon Natural History Association
- John Wesely Powell Museum located in Page, Arizona. Not only does the museum cover the history of Major Powell’s two journeys down the Colorado River, in 1869 and 1871, but also much of the natural and human history of the area. See website for hours and admittance fees.
- Grand Staircase Monument Visitors Center Big Water, Utah. South side of highway at mile marker 7. Focus is on the paleontology work that has put Big Water on the map and includes a beautiful mural, several sculptures and real fossils. David Rankin is part of the focus with 2 of his sculptures and discussions of his paleo finds in the area, including the Eopolycotylus rankini, a new species of pliosaur he discovered.
- Go swimming at the chains area of Lake Powell 2nd driveway East of Glen Canyon Dam bridge, turn North. Be cautious, the water is over 500 feet deep.
- Sept 12 and 13 Lake Powell Relay For Life An annual event held at the Page Sports Complex benefiting the National Cancer Society.
- Sept 26 – 28th, 10th annual Page Fall Festival at Page City Park. Put on by the Helping Hands agency there is music, food, games and events for the whole family.
- October 31 – Nov 2 Page Hot Air Balloon Regatta – Baloons lift off every morning, a large street fair, and a balloon glow at night.
- Stop in any visitor center and get a list of the many free walks, hikes and drives within just a few minutes of the Page, Lake Powell area.
Feel Free to ADD any other free to under 10 buck activities in the Lake Powell area you can think of!